At the market, choose a coconut that sloshes when you shake it; If you do not hear anything, it may be discharged out. To open the coconut, pierce three dark-colored eyes at the top of the nut with a screwdriver or an ice pick. Pour out the liquid inside; Reserve to serve as a beverage, if desired. Place the drained coconut on a rimmed baking sheet in a 350 * F oven for about 15 minutes, or just until the shell begins to crack. Let cool briefly, then place on a study surface. Using a hammer or mallet, hit hard along the crack; The coconut should then break into pieces.
Pry white coconut flesh from shell with a screwdriver or knife with a rounded end. Pare off brown skin with a small knife or vegetable peeler. You may grate the coconut to use in fruit salads, baked gods, or confections, or as a condiment to serve with curries. You can also cube it to make fresh coconut milk, often called for in Asian and tropical dishes. The following recipe will help you do just that.
Miami Coconut Milk
Cut fresh coconut into 1/2-inch chunks
For each cup of coconut chunks, measure 1 cup hot water
1. Whirl together in a blender or food processor until mixture is thick and pulpy (about 20 to 30 seconds).
2. Let steep for 30 minutes.
3. Strain through a double thickness of cheesecloth, squeezing out liquid; Discard coconut.
4. Cover and refrigerate "milk" for up to 3 days; Or freeze for longer storage.
5. One cup each coconut and hot water makes about 1 cup coconut milk
Be sure to visit our web site for more dazzling recipes, food preparation tips and instructions, and all matters related to the pursuit of great food.